Uncovering My Acadian Roots: Who Were The Acadians?

A Complete Surprise.

In building out The French Side of my family tree, there was a knowledge gap around the maternal ancestors of my 2nd great-grandmother Marie Olivine Trial (grandmother of my maternal grandfather). This was due to the fact that her mother died shortly after Olivine was born, Olivine being raised by her father and step-mother. For the longest time, all I knew was Olivine's mother's name: Hermine Champagne

The surviving records about Hermine Champagne were few and far between. And because she had died so early in life, no family lore from her side of the family survived. So it came as a complete surprise to me one day to discover that:

  • Hermine Champagne was a direct descendant of founding Acadian settlers at Port Royal-Annapolis Royal in what is now the Canadian province of Nova Scotia; 
  • some of her family had survived the Great Deportation of 1755 and re-settled in Québec years later; and
  • she was the last in my direct family line to bear the Acadian name of (Orion dit) Champagne.

Connecting With My Acadian Roots.

I had always felt an affinity with my Québec-French Canadian heritage, growing up hearing stories about my maternal grandfather's LeComte family. 

A stylized Acadian flag
Completely stunned to learn about my Acadian heritage, which has different roots -- a different backstory, if you will -- in French-Canadian culture, I felt a sense of loss for something I never had a chance to know. 

I mourned the family stories, traditions, music and recipes that never got a chance to be passed down (quite probably) due to the untimely death of my Acadian 3rd great-grandmother Hermine Champagne.

In trying to recover something of my Acadian heritage -- trying to connect to it in a meaningful way -- but being an absolute beginner on the subject, I thought I would start by learning more about Acadian history, Acadian culture as represented through their music and food, and Acadian language -- which I understand has certain differences in pronunciation and vocabulary from what is considered today's "standard" French.

Share My Journey of Exploration.

Come along on my journey as I explore my Acadian heritage! 

Today, I start with two compelling videos from Historica Canada's YouTube channel that provide an overview of who the Acadians were and one of the most devastating episodes in Acadian-Canadian history.

  1. VIDEO: Historica Canada: Who Are The Acadians?
  2. VIDEO: Historica Canada: Heritage Minutes - Acadian Deportation
 Join me for future posts as I continue my journey. Vive l'Acadie!

Comments